The Killing Joke (2points)

 1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

Obviously from the title, I could tell that it was a story centered around the Joker and Batman. What I didn't expect from reading through the comic is that it specifically highlights Joker's origin story and has a very tragic aspect to it. I didn't really expect the Joker to have had a wife and unborn child, or that he used to be a chemical engineer. I mainly based my assumptions on Joker's origin from the Joker film.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

The biggest connection I was able to make was with the backstories of both Batman and the Joker. Both of them lost their loved ones in tragic incidents, but both have different ways of approaching it. Batman devotes his entire life to stopping injustices to the point where his entire life is consumed by Batman, while the Joker has no real goal and revels in insanity. They're very similar characters in the regard that they're both obsessed with tragedy almost.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

I think for this comic, I would definitely choose a movie format (whether animated or live action), and the one thing I would change is to have Joker die at the end. Initially in the comic, I thought that Joker had died due to the fact that he stopped laughing at the end, though through a little research found out that the script doesn't actually support this (or Alan Moore never intended it). So that would be the one thing I would change. I feel like it would be a good ending for the Joker.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

For one, the super villain of the story is sympathetic and is somewhat similar to the main character. Secondly, the villain and the hero are going through a weird parallel with each other, especially at the end where Batman actually laughs at Joker's joke. Finally, the ambiguity of the ending. We aren't super sure if the Joker is killed, or if he's just completely given up. It's an especially interesting ending for one of comic's big super villains.

Comments

Popular Posts